Nearly 2000 years ago, the Gallo-Romans planted vines on the hill behind a villa which is to become Urville in the Middle Ages. It is not until 1116 that Saint Bernard, having come from Cîteaux Abbey near Clos Vougeot, reorganises the vineyard. From Burgundy he imports Morillon Noir, the forerunner of Pinot, and in 1152 has several cellars built, one of which, in Urville, is an annex of Bavin-Saint Eulalie.
All these properties are attached to the great Clairvaux Abbey founded by Saint Bernard, whose influence will radiate throughout medieval Europe. When he dies in 1153, wine production is close to 600,000 litres, shipped primarily in casks because glass is scarce and expensive at this time. The wines, called Vins de Bar, are appreciated by the Counts of Champagne and in Paris after they have proceeded along the Aube and the Seine on merchant boats.
After the French Revolution, Napoleon converts Clairvaux Abbey into a prison. The Urville cellars become the village presbytery in the 14th century. The Drappier Family, having set up house in the proximity of these cellars, buys them and starts using them after World War II. Today they house several fine vintages and the large-sized bottles, the pride of the House.